Monday, July 16, 2007

Zweiback?



I found this package when I was going through the grocery store one day. I knew that there were a lot of different influences from other countries in Chile, but I was surprised to see the word "Zweiback". The product did not seem to be the same as the Mennonite Zweiback I grew up eating.

Does anyone know the translation of Zweiback to English? I thought it was something like "double buns". Anyway, the pictured Zweiback looks like crunchy bread and not soft dinner rolls. Seeing this package made me feel like the world is smaller than one thinks!

4 comments:

matt kirkland said...

My german mojo is not strong, but I think it means double-baked. So the stuff you've got there - baked once, then toasted - qualifies. What do you think? Points for trying?

The Tilted Tulip said...

Didn't all those years in my German household teach you anything? :) It does actually mean "twice baked" and the toast is closer to the original idea of the zweiback. Not sure when it morfed into the double-buns that we Mennonites bake today. But they sure are tastier than toast!

blewis said...

Thanks Matt & Erika!!! I do think I remember the whole double-baked meaning! So the little toasts shoud be kind of like a biscotti! I'll have to try them sometime! Erika-remember, I never listened in your house, because I thought the German meant you were getting in trouble!!!!

Thanks for the translation!

blewis said...

FYI: that previous post was not made by blewis, but by amylew, who forgot to log into her own account before posting.