Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pueblo Los Dominicos

This past weekend we went to Pueblo Los Dominicos, a former convent, that has been turned into a large Chilean handcraft market. There were around 180 shops of different art and items from local artisans. It was really a beautiful place and one we will include on the "must see" list for visitors! My mom actually recommended the market to us after seeing it on a travel show about Santiago!




Clay Cooking Pots


Musical Instruments




We have seen so many street dogs in Santiago that I began to wonder where all the stray cats go. I got my answer at Pueblo Los Domincos! There were a lot of cats - I had a hard time containing myself! (The cats are eating on the roof, they're not just loitering)




Cute restaurant where we waited out from an hour long downpour. Thank goodness that the Chileans believe in onces (afternoon tea/snack) and long leisurely meals - you have to ask for the check!

7 comments:

matt kirkland said...

Those cats on the roof? What are they eating, exactly? Pigeons?

joe said...

They look pretty tough. I bet they are eating their young and some sea bass.

amylew said...

I didn't get a good look at what they were eating, but your suggestions could be correct. I even think this mob of cats could take a street dog. I did see some cat food set out for other cats, though I'm not sure who would be setting cat food out up on the roof.

Anonymous said...

the shops look fabulous! are you satisfied with the culinary experiences provided? besides turkeyhill ice cream , of course.

Andi said...

amy, i think YOU would set out cat food on the roof if you knew they enjoyed it!

those shops look really great!

amylew said...

Carolyn - we've really enjoyed the food here. It all is very good. Also, I've been having a lot of time to cook, so that has been fun for me.

Andi - you caught me! Next time we go to the market, I'm going to bring a bag of cat food & cat treats!

joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.