Sunday, October 7, 2007

Guest Post: El Ladrón

Brad here, I thought I'd take a turn posting on the Queso, and boy do I have a story to tell.

Okay, we're back from a long and unexpected break. Thanks for checking loyally, we promise to blog more often in the weeks to come.

We have much to report from the past weeks, so let's begin with our trip to the Lake Region. We had a wonderful time visiting Valdivia, Niebla, and Pucón, but the trip got off to a rocky start. Our journey began in Santiago, where we boarded an overnight bus. We had been told that on holiday weekends the bus station is crowded, so we took precautions to avoid the pickpockets that are infamous in this town. We finally made it to the right bus (despite our pedestrian understanding of the Spanish language and the Chilean accent), and settled in for a relaxing trip. We were even pleased to have a kind older gentleman show us to our seats and helped us place our bags in the overhead bin.

Only, after about 5 minutes, that kind man showed himself to be a very dedicated thief (a "ladrón" in Spanish). When I decided that I wanted to read a book I had brought with me, I discovered that the guy, instead of placing my bag in the overhead bin, had made off with it entirely. I was seething with anger, and he was nowhere to be found. Both Amy and I felt utterly stupid. We were now the dumb, trusting gringos that everybody targets. Things could have been worse, to be sure, because our passports and cash (and my iPod) were secure in my coat pocket. The real tragedy is that our camera was in our bag, so there are no pictures of our wonderful trip.

We searched the web for some photos of what we saw, and we will recount some of our stories in a few future blog posts, so all is not lost. And, a replacement camera is on its way, so we'll make sure to take lots of pictures as spring arrives down here.

2 comments:

joe said...

that totally sux. i'm so glad the important valuables were in your jacket! it turns my stomach to here this story. when we were in india there was a couple who couldn't find a bag on the train. i think they were being helped by the "hired help" that you get at the train station. the woman was crying almost hysterically and her husband and she were pacing up and down the train cars like mad. they ended up in a fight yelling at each other. it sounded like they had the passports, etc... in the bag. not fun. ugh. (this is carolyn, btw).

Brandon said...

hey bro and sis-in-law, i am excited to see you soon! i am sorry it had to be under these circumstances, but it will still be a refreshing experience. give me or brian a call when you are in the states and let us know when to head back down to wichita.