Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas at the Beach!

Since it is summer in Chile, we decided to go to the beach for Christmas! We took a bus, 2 hours west, to the cities of Valparaiso and Viña del Mar. We really enjoyed our time there and the people seemed so different from Santiaguans - so nice!

Valparaiso was once a very important port city in the Pacific, before the Panama Canal. Now it is still a main port for Chile, but not as important globally. Much of the city is built into the hills, which allows for beautiful views of the ocean. There are a lot of pictures that follow, but if you want more, visit our flickr photostream!

The drive to the beach goes through the Casablanca white wine region of Chile!
It was amazing how many grapes are grown there!

One of Pablo Neruda's (Chilean Poet & Writer) houses

Looking out over Valparaiso from Neruda's house

Looking out over Valparaiso, towards Viña

The hills of Valparaiso

Port of Valpariaso

Full Moon over the Pacific.
This picture was taken from a restaurant where we ate the
best machas (razor clams covered in melted parmesan cheese!)

Chilean Armada

Candy Canes on the beach - courtesy of Aunt Sherri & Uncle Chip, Aunt Connie & Uncle Steve!
Thanks!



4 comments:

The Tilted Tulip said...

wow! your hair is so long! and those pictures are beautiful...

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing - we missed you at Christmas but happy for your wonderful adventures. We are beach people as well and are a little envious.. :)

Emily and fam

Jane said...

That's so funny--I was going to comment on how long your hair is and how beautiful your pictures are! Looks like Erika beat me to it! :)

I'm glad you guys had a nice beach Christmas. I'm off to your Flickr site to check out all of your pretty pics. Can you see how much work I'm NOT doing right now?!

amylew said...

Emily - we missed everyone at Christmas too!

Crabby & Jane - my hair is so long because I'm too chicken to get it cut here. I don't really care for most of the haircuts here so I think I'm going to have Brad give me a trim. He's pretty artistic! Anyone ever have their husband cut their hair?